Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day Happies

I absolutely have to share a story about what great girls dear hubby and I have raised. They are 14 and 15 and growing into terrific young women.

Well, I can only begin to tell you how proud I was of them on Earth Day yesterday. They each dressed for school in green to spotlight the day and start some conversations. How cute is that?

The best part came when, after school, the 15 year old says, "I am going for a walk to pick up trash" AND the 14 year old says, "Can I come with you?" AND the 15 year old replies, "I guess." Talk about a doubly good happening with trash being picked up and some sister time too!

Our girls remembered how we would celebrate Earth Day and/or the arrival of Spring by going for a walk in the neighborhood to collect the trash that accumulated over Winter. It's been at least 3 years since we did that as a family adventure, but they did it on their own.

Now for the funny part: what a sight we saw when the 15 year old returned home a couple minutes after her sister (they each took one side of the road as their responsibility)! She was looking very tired and a bit dirty carrying three bags of trash AND dragging a ragged, blown out tire. I so wish I had taken that picture!

However, I did capture them with their "treasures."



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails